• Locast suspends operations

From Nightfox@316:36/30 to All on Thu Sep 2 09:28:52 2021
    For the past few months or so, I've been using Locast, which streams local TV channels online. Locast is (or, was?) a non-profit service, so it could be used for free, but they took donations. I thought Locast was pretty cool, because I don't have cable TV or any premium TV service, and although I can get local TV over the air, sometimes my over-the-air reception isn't good for some channels. With Locast, I was able to watch all local TV channels without any reception issues, for cheap.

I guess Locast has been the target of a lawsuit recently. Locast sent a notification a couple days ago that there was a court ruling that said they couldn't request donations anymore. I think it may have had something to do with the fact that Locast had a 'free' tier where it would interrupt the stream asking for donations, and people who had donated didn't get interruptions.

https://bit.ly/3DGS6Us
    Full article link: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/broadcasters-score-big -legal-win-against-locast-a-popular-app-streaming-network-tv-1235006305/

I feel like this is a bummer. I'm a bit of a cord cutter (I've never had my own cable or premium TV service), as I feel like I don't watch enough TV to feel like it's worth paying for premium TV, though I like watching local news & game shows etc..

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (316:36/30)
  • From Bucko@316:36/40 to Nightfox on Thu Sep 2 18:59:46 2021
    On 02 Sep 2021, Nightfox said the following...

For the past few months or so, I've been using Locast, which streams
    local TV channels online. Locast is (or, was?) a non-profit service, so it could be used for free, but they took donations. I thought Locast

I have used Locast off and on for the past 3 years.. Although the constant breakins was annoying, I had no local service in my basement (mancave) so it was nice to be able to use it. In fact it was even nicer with a VPN to get
    out of market football games ;) This really is a bummer as like you said over the air sometimes isn't feasible at least in my basement with a Digital
    antenna I pick up squat! So now I am back to setting up app's on my FireTV
    and Computer so I can view local channels. It's a ridiculous way of doing things but I for one will miss Locast..

AL

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (316:36/40)
  • From phigan@316:36/1 to Bucko on Wed Oct 13 14:50:21 2021
    in my basement with a Digital antenna I pick up squat! So now I am back
    to setting up app's on my FireTV and Computer so I can view local channels. It's a ridiculous way of doing things but I for one will miss

Have you seen the HDHomeRun products? I have a older cheapie model with just one input, but I connect it to the antenna on the roof and can get all the channels anywhere in the house over the network. There must be other such devices, too.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/08/19 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Raiders Inc BBS -- vintagebbsing.com:1337 (316:36/1)
  • From Bucko@316:36/40 to phigan on Wed Oct 13 20:20:50 2021
    On 13 Oct 2021, phigan said the following...

Have you seen the HDHomeRun products? I have a older cheapie model with just one input, but I connect it to the antenna on the roof and can get all the channels anywhere in the house over the network. There must be other such devices, too.

Actually, no I haven't but I am going to look into it, only problem is I live in a Town House so I can't put a antenna on the roof, but it sounds like something I should look into...

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (316:36/40)