• Windows 11

From Nightfox@316:36/30 to All on Tue Oct 5 12:47:41 2021
    I've heard today (October 5, 2021) is the official release day of Windows 11. I might see if a Windows 11 update appears in my Windows Update for my PC this evening (I've heard they're not rolling it out all at once). If you're using Windows 11, I'm curious what you think of it?

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (316:36/30)
  • From DarkmanAlmighty@316:36/53 to Nightfox on Fri Oct 8 07:20:22 2021
    On 05 Oct 2021, Nightfox said the following...

I've heard today (October 5, 2021) is the official release day of
    Windows 11. I might see if a Windows 11 update appears in my Windows Update for my PC this evening (I've heard they're not rolling it out all at once). If you're using Windows 11, I'm curious what you think of it?

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32

I don't suspect any of my computers will be able to upgraded as it requires
    TPM processing. I wonder if this is some clever move to push everyone to buy new computers as their Apples errr I mean PCs age with no support thereby becoming obsolete much sooner than later. Let us know how it goes with Win11.

|15/)|07arkman|15 /\|07lmighty|15
    |11"No matter where you go, there you are..."

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/08/19 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: USS Excelsior BBS * excelsiorbbs.ddns.net:2000 (316:36/53)
  • From Nightfox@316:36/30 to DarkmanAlmighty on Fri Oct 8 08:52:26 2021
    Re: Re: Windows 11
    By: DarkmanAlmighty to Nightfox on Fri Oct 08 2021 07:20 am

I don't suspect any of my computers will be able to upgraded as it requires TPM processing. I wonder if this is some clever move to push everyone to buy new computers as their Apples errr I mean PCs age with no

You don't necessarily have to buy a whole new computer. Many desktop motherboards made in the last several years have a place where you can plug in a TPM module. Some processors from the last few years also support TPM built-in. Some motherboards have a TPM option in the BIOS you can enable, and it might be a matter of just enabling that option in the BIOS.

support thereby becoming obsolete much sooner than later. Let us know how

When exactly is "sooner than later"? That term seems kinda vague..

it goes with Win11.

I'm not sure yet if I want to go ahead and upgrade to Windows 11, but I've considered upgrading this weekend, maybe this evening or tomorrow. My main desktop PC is probably my only computer that would officially support Windows 11. My secondary PC (which I run my BBS & media server on) is a PC I built in January 2012 with an Intel i5-2500 processor. I'm running Linux on it anyway (though I run my BBS on it in a Windows VM). I also have a laptop from 2014 which I think has a 4th-generation Intel i7 which they'd consider to be too old. I've heard there's a way to install Windows 11 on older systems anyway, but I'm not sure if I'd want to try that. I may end up selling my old laptop, though it's still a good laptop..

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
  • From DarkmanAlmighty@316:36/53 to Nightfox on Mon Oct 11 20:32:02 2021
    On 08 Oct 2021, Nightfox said the following...

By: DarkmanAlmighty to Nightfox on Fri Oct 08 2021 07:20 am

I don't suspect any of my computers will be able to upgraded as it requires TPM processing. I wonder if this is some clever move to push everyone to buy new computers as their Apples errr I mean PCs age wit

You don't necessarily have to buy a whole new computer. Many desktop motherboards made in the last several years have a place where you can plug in a TPM module. Some processors from the last few years also support TPM built-in. Some motherboards have a TPM option in the BIOS you can enable, and it might be a matter of just enabling that option
    in the BIOS.
    I will check the BIOS settings but am in no rush to upgrade. So you're saying if I don't I can plug one in. Hmm. cool. I wonder if laptops would off that kind of upgrade. Maybe it as easy as just enable. I know they did that with virtualization.

When exactly is "sooner than later"? That term seems kinda vague..
    I mean when new version of Windows come out, they stop supporting it in a few years but my worry is what other programs are doing. Are they updating to a point where its not compatible with that version due to security patches for example.
    I'm not sure yet if I want to go ahead and upgrade to Windows 11, but
    I've considered upgrading this weekend, maybe this evening or tomorrow. My main desktop PC is probably my only computer that would officially support Windows 11. My secondary PC (which I run my BBS & media server on) is a PC I built in January 2012 with an Intel i5-2500 processor.
    I'm running Linux on it anyway (though I run my BBS on it in a Windows VM). I also have a laptop from 2014 which I think has a 4th-generation Intel i7 which they'd consider to be too old. I've heard there's a way to install Windows 11 on older systems anyway, but I'm not sure if I'd want to try that. I may end up selling my old laptop, though it's
    still a good laptop..
    How did the upgrade go?

I run mostly Win10 on a few systems.. and I have one older desktop at Win7.
    You could alway put Linux on an older machine, my buddy did that, made it live a bit longer. He used it for audio capture and editing, did the trick.
    I recently was faced with do I buy new laptop or not. The main machine I use does have Win10 on it but it originally had Win8, that gives you an idea of age. So, I decided to refresh the OS and upgrade the HD to an SSD.. that should be a lot better.. give me another few more years.

|15/)|07arkman|15 /\|07lmighty|15
    |11"No matter where you go, there you are..."

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/08/19 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: USS Excelsior BBS * excelsiorbbs.ddns.net:2000 (316:36/53)
  • From Nightfox@316:36/30 to DarkmanAlmighty on Mon Oct 11 19:03:46 2021
    By: DarkmanAlmighty to Nightfox on Mon Oct 11 2021 08:32 pm

few years also support TPM built-in. Some motherboards have a TPM
    option in the BIOS you can enable, and it might be a matter of just
    enabling that option in the BIOS.

I will check the BIOS settings but am in no rush to upgrade. So you're saying if I don't I can plug one in. Hmm. cool.

It probably depends on the motherboard, if the motherboard has a plug for a TPM unit or not. Also, depending on the CPU, the CPU might also support TPM 2.0 features, so you might be able to enable TPM 2.0 without an extra TPM module.

I wonder if laptops would
    off that kind of upgrade. Maybe it as easy as just enable. I know they did that with virtualization.

I think I read somewhere that laptops tend to offer TPM more often than desktop PCS.

I'm not sure yet if I want to go ahead and upgrade to Windows 11,
    but I've considered upgrading this weekend, maybe this evening or
    tomorrow. My main desktop PC is probably my only computer that

How did the upgrade go?

I went ahead and upgraded. I think it went fairly smoothly. There were just a couple snags, but both were easily fixed. One was that my MSI motherboard's network drivers came with a program/virtual driver called cFosSpeed, and the Windows 11 upgrade tool said that wasn't ready for Windows 11 yet; it also said there's an upgrade, but cFos would charge for it. cFosSpeed is supposed to accelerate network speed somehow, but I figured it wasn't needed, so I un-installed it. Also, after I upgraded to Windows 11, my audio volume was really low. Un-installing and re-installing my audio driver fixed that.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32