• Emulation question

From kegs@kegs@provalid.com (Kent Dickey) to comp.sys.mac.vintage on Thu Jul 9 08:25:55 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.vintage

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask these questions.

I'm interested in running some old OS X games (PowerPC) under emulation on Catalina. I'm not sure there is a way to do this, can someone point me to
    ways this can be done? I have various Mac OS X install DVDs. I have
    VMWare Fusion running on Catalina, but it won't let me run Mac OS X older than 10.7, so I cannot get a version old enough to run Rosetta. If there's a workaround for its version check, I'd be interested. And reading about Mac emulation didn't indicate any emulators for PowerPC that could do OS X games. Sheepshaver seems to be OS 9 only, and PearPC seems old and not really what I want (it seems to not do emulated disks, but wants to write directly to my
    real disks...I don't want that). If someone could let me know PearPC would work, and could point me to good "getting started" directions, that would be appreciated. Would VirtualBox/QEMU or something like that work? I'm interested in hearing about someone else being successful, not to be a trailblazer here.

I'm also interested in running newer 32-bit Intel-based Mac OS X apps under Catalina (such as Age of Empires). VMWare Fusion lets me install and
    run Mac OS X 10.14 (or any version 10.7 through 10.14)--but it doesn't
    emulate a GPU for client Mac OS X so games won't run. Ironically, if I emulated Windows, then it would work since it does provide GPU support for Windows. So what are suggestions for running old 32-bit Intel Mac OS X games on Catalina?

Kent
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From =?UTF-8?B?QW5kcsOpIEcuIElzYWFr?=@agisaak@gm.invalid to comp.sys.mac.vintage on Fri Jul 10 09:29:14 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.vintage

On 2020-07-09 07:25, Kent Dickey wrote:
    Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask these questions.

I'm interested in running some old OS X games (PowerPC) under emulation on Catalina. I'm not sure there is a way to do this, can someone point me to ways this can be done? I have various Mac OS X install DVDs. I have
    VMWare Fusion running on Catalina, but it won't let me run Mac OS X older than
    10.7, so I cannot get a version old enough to run Rosetta.

You should be able to run 10.5/10.6 provided they are server versions.
    the license for the client version prohibits running these under a VM
    and both parallels and VMWare enforce this.

André

--
    To email remove 'invalid' & replace 'gm' with well known Google mail
    service.
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113