• How to fix "There is no application to open the URL news:sci.physics.research."

From Darshan Beniwal@darshanbeniwal11@gmail.com to comp.sys.mac.apps on Mon Sep 21 18:13:57 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

I'm trying to open a newsgroup named sci.physics.research in MacBook Air, but every time it shows me "There is no application set to open the URL news:sci.physics.research.". And there is no app in my system to open it even doesn't shows me any app in app store. Could anyone help me to open it?
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Savageduck@savageduck1@removespam.me.com to comp.sys.mac.apps on Mon Sep 21 20:56:10 2020

On Sep 21, 2020 at 6:13:57 PM PDT, "Darshan Beniwal" <darshanbeniwal11@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm trying to open a newsgroup named sci.physics.research in MacBook Air, but every time it shows me "There is no application set to open the URL news:sci.physics.research.". And there is no app in my system to open it even doesn't shows me any app in app store. Could anyone help me to open it?

Your first problem is you are using Google Groups, and the Usenet group sci.physics.research (s.p.r.) is not a URL but a NG address which is
    accessible via a Usenet client. I use macOS and there are several apps which will let you subscribe to that group. I have several Usenet clients installed and all are able to access s.p.r.

If you have a Mac try Hogwasher, Unison, or Usenapp (I am using Usenapp for this reply). Another option is Thunderbird, but that is a poor Usenet client.

Provided Google Groups has access to s.p.r. you should be able to find the NG within the Google Groups client G2/1.0. If not you will have to use a
    different server such as Giganews (my server).

I was able to access sci.physics.research using Usenapp without issue.

<https://www.usenapp.com>
    --
    Regards,
    Savageduck

• From Darshan Beniwal@darshanbeniwal11@gmail.com to comp.sys.mac.apps on Mon Sep 21 19:41:45 2020

On Tuesday, 22 September 2020 07:26:17 UTC+5:30, Savageduck wrote:
    On Sep 21, 2020 at 6:13:57 PM PDT, "Darshan Beniwal" <darshanbeniwal11@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm trying to open a newsgroup named sci.physics.research in MacBook Air, but
    every time it shows me "There is no application set to open the URL news:sci.physics.research.". And there is no app in my system to open it even
    doesn't shows me any app in app store. Could anyone help me to open it?

Your first problem is you are using Google Groups, and the Usenet group sci.physics.research (s.p.r.) is not a URL but a NG address which is accessible via a Usenet client. I use macOS and there are several apps which will let you subscribe to that group. I have several Usenet clients installed and all are able to access s.p.r.

If you have a Mac try Hogwasher, Unison, or Usenapp (I am using Usenapp for this reply). Another option is Thunderbird, but that is a poor Usenet client.

Provided Google Groups has access to s.p.r. you should be able to find the NG within the Google Groups client G2/1.0. If not you will have to use a different server such as Giganews (my server).

--
    Regards,
    Savageduck
    I'm using google group for sci.physics.research newsgroup, but I think its not stable on the google group i.e. somehow most of my reply are not posted via google group. Therefore, I'm looking for a free newsreader app or weblinks. I just installed USENAPP using the shared link by you. But working with its trail version and when I search this newsgroup i.e. s.p.r. , it suggest nothing in the newsgroup option. Can you point out what is happening with this app in my system somehow?
  • From Savageduck@savageduck1@removespam.me.com to comp.sys.mac.apps on Tue Sep 22 03:21:35 2020

On Sep 21, 2020 at 7:41:45 PM PDT, "Darshan Beniwal" <darshanbeniwal11@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sep 21, 2020 at 6:13:57 PM PDT, "Darshan Beniwal"
    <darshanbeniwal11@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm trying to open a newsgroup named sci.physics.research in MacBook Air, >>> but
    every time it shows me "There is no application set to open the URL
    news:sci.physics.research.". And there is no app in my system to open it >>> even
    doesn't shows me any app in app store. Could anyone help me to open it? >>
    Your first problem is you are using Google Groups, and the Usenet group
    sci.physics.research (s.p.r.) is not a URL but a NG address which is
    accessible via a Usenet client. I use macOS and there are several apps which
    will let you subscribe to that group. I have several Usenet clients
    installed
    and all are able to access s.p.r.

If you have a Mac try Hogwasher, Unison, or Usenapp (I am using Usenapp for >> this reply). Another option is Thunderbird, but that is a poor Usenet
    client.

Provided Google Groups has access to s.p.r. you should be able to find the >> NG
    within the Google Groups client G2/1.0. If not you will have to use a

--
    Regards,
    Savageduck

I'm using google group for sci.physics.research newsgroup, but I think its not stable on the google group i.e. somehow most of my reply are not posted via google group. Therefore, I'm looking for a free newsreader app or weblinks. I just installed USENAPP using the shared link by you. But working with its trail version and when I search this newsgroup i.e. s.p.r. , it suggest nothing in the newsgroup option. Can you point out what is happening with this app in my system somehow?

It is possible that Google Groups server does not support
    sci.physics.research. The reason you are not finding s.p.r. on G2/1.0 or Usenapp is for some reason, or another s.p.r. is a NG not supported by Google Groups.

Do you have access to a different Usenet server/provider?

As I said above I use Giganews as my Usenet server/provider, it is not a free service. There are several free server/providers such as "Eternal September".
    I suggest you search for "free Usenet servers" to find something other than Google Groups.

Both Usenapp and Hogwasher are not free Usenet clients. However, Unison 2.2 is discontinued, but available as a free download, and works quite well, but is
    no longer supported by its developer, Panic.

Scroll to the bottom of the list provided in the URL below to find Unison 2.2 <http://download.panic.com/unison/>

I have no issues accessing s.p.r. via Giganews using Usenapp as you can see from the screenshot below. <https://www.dropbox.com/s/ub1zr4znuq9hq6c/screenshot_455.jpg>
    --
    Regards,
    Savageduck

• From Leo@leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net to comp.sys.mac.apps on Tue Sep 22 01:49:58 2020

On 2020 Sep 22, , Savageduck wrote
    (in article<OemdnTy2I7eSKfTCnZ2dnUU7-SHNnZ2d@giganews.com>):

As I said above I use Giganews as my Usenet server/provider, it is not a free service. There are several free server/providers such as "Eternal September". I suggest you search for "free Usenet servers" to find something other than Google Groups.

Both Usenapp and Hogwasher are not free Usenet clients. However, Unison 2.2 is
    discontinued, but available as a free download, and works quite well, but is no longer supported by its developer, Panic.

Scroll to the bottom of the list provided in the URL below to find Unison 2.2 <http://download.panic.com/unison/>

I have no issues accessing s.p.r. via Giganews using Usenapp as you can see from the screenshot below. <https://www.dropbox.com/s/ub1zr4znuq9hq6c/screenshot_455.jpg>

• From Leo@leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net to comp.sys.mac.apps on Tue Sep 22 01:50:32 2020

• From Leo@leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net to comp.sys.mac.apps on Tue Sep 22 01:59:07 2020

FWIW, sci.physics.research is available on news.individual.net which costs about $25 per year if free options aren’t available. No binaries are
    allowed on the server.

leo

• From Krzysztof Mitko@invalid@kmitko.at.list.dot.pl to comp.sys.mac.apps on Tue Sep 22 09:33:16 2020

Leo wrote:

I have no issues accessing s.p.r. via Giganews using Usenapp as you can see >> from the screenshot below.
    <https://www.dropbox.com/s/ub1zr4znuq9hq6c/screenshot_455.jpg>

FWIW, sci.physics.research is available on news.individual.net which costs about $25 per year if free options aren’t available. No binaries are allowed on the server.

leo

I'm using news.idecnet.com, which is free and doesn't require registration to post. I don't think they have geo restrictions (I'm posting from a different country than the server is located). s.p.r. is here.

--
    They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the
    Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.

• From Darshan Beniwal@darshanbeniwal11@gmail.com to comp.sys.mac.apps on Tue Sep 22 03:17:50 2020

On Tuesday, 22 September 2020 13:51:42 UTC+5:30, Savageduck wrote:
    On Sep 21, 2020 at 7:41:45 PM PDT, "Darshan Beniwal" <darshanbeniwal11@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sep 21, 2020 at 6:13:57 PM PDT, "Darshan Beniwal"
    <darshanbeniwal11@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm trying to open a newsgroup named sci.physics.research in MacBook Air,
    but
    every time it shows me "There is no application set to open the URL
    news:sci.physics.research.". And there is no app in my system to open it
    even
    doesn't shows me any app in app store. Could anyone help me to open it? >>
    Your first problem is you are using Google Groups, and the Usenet group >> sci.physics.research (s.p.r.) is not a URL but a NG address which is
    accessible via a Usenet client. I use macOS and there are several apps which
    will let you subscribe to that group. I have several Usenet clients
    installed
    and all are able to access s.p.r.

If you have a Mac try Hogwasher, Unison, or Usenapp (I am using Usenapp for
    this reply). Another option is Thunderbird, but that is a poor Usenet
    client.

Provided Google Groups has access to s.p.r. you should be able to find the
    NG
    within the Google Groups client G2/1.0. If not you will have to use a

--
    Regards,
    Savageduck

I'm using google group for sci.physics.research newsgroup, but I think its not stable on the google group i.e. somehow most of my reply are not posted via google group. Therefore, I'm looking for a free newsreader app or weblinks. I just installed USENAPP using the shared link by you. But working
    with its trail version and when I search this newsgroup i.e. s.p.r. , it suggest nothing in the newsgroup option. Can you point out what is happening
    with this app in my system somehow?

It is possible that Google Groups server does not support sci.physics.research. The reason you are not finding s.p.r. on G2/1.0 or Usenapp is for some reason, or another s.p.r. is a NG not supported by Google Groups.

Do you have access to a different Usenet server/provider?

As I said above I use Giganews as my Usenet server/provider, it is not a free service. There are several free server/providers such as "Eternal September".
    This "Eternal September" is working perfectly without any fee. And luckily s.p.r. is also available there.
    I suggest you search for "free Usenet servers" to find something other than Google Groups.

Both Usenapp and Hogwasher are not free Usenet clients. However, Unison 2.2 is
    discontinued, but available as a free download, and works quite well, but is no longer supported by its developer, Panic.

--
    Regards,
    Savageduck

Thanks Savageduck
  • From Darshan Beniwal@darshanbeniwal11@gmail.com to comp.sys.mac.apps on Tue Sep 22 03:19:09 2020

On Tuesday, 22 September 2020 14:29:10 UTC+5:30, Leo wrote:

FWIW, sci.physics.research is available on news.individual.net which costs about $25 per year if free options aren’t available. No binaries are allowed on the server.

leo
    Yeah Leo, its also a good choice, showing me just 10 euro per yr. Thanks
  • From Darshan Beniwal@darshanbeniwal11@gmail.com to comp.sys.mac.apps on Tue Sep 22 04:24:22 2020

On Tuesday, 22 September 2020 16:25:37 UTC+5:30, Lewis wrote:
    In message <OemdnTy2I7eSKfTCnZ2dnUU7-SHNnZ2d@giganews.com> Savageduck <savageduck1@removespam.me.com> wrote:

not stable on the google group i.e. somehow most of my reply are not posted

It is possible that Google Groups server does not support sci.physics.research.

It does.

<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/sci.physics.research>
    Yeah, but I was looking that in newsgroup. On Google Group its not stable somehow.
    --
    One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

• From Jolly Roger@jollyroger@pobox.com to comp.sys.mac.apps on Tue Sep 22 22:33:43 2020

On 2020-09-22, Leo <leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

I have no issues accessing s.p.r. via Giganews using Usenapp as you can see >> from the screenshot below.
    <https://www.dropbox.com/s/ub1zr4znuq9hq6c/screenshot_455.jpg>

I've used Individual for years, and they are one of the best I've ever
    used. Recommended.

--
    E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my ravenous SPAM filter.
    I often ignore posts from Google. Use a real news client instead.

JR
  • From Darshan Beniwal@darshanbeniwal11@gmail.com to comp.sys.mac.apps on Wed Sep 23 03:47:13 2020

On Tuesday, 22 September 2020 18:21:38 UTC+5:30, Lewis wrote:
    In message <fe505004-365d-4cce-b1f0-5f2b0b2988fco@googlegroups.com> Darshan Beniwal <darshanbeniwal11@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Tuesday, 22 September 2020 16:25:37 UTC+5:30, Lewis wrote:
    In message <OemdnTy2I7eSKfTCnZ2dnUU7-SHNnZ2d@giganews.com> Savageduck <savageduck1@removespam.me.com> wrote:

not stable on the google group i.e. somehow most of my reply are not posted

It is possible that Google Groups server does not support sci.physics.research.

It does.

<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/sci.physics.research>

Yeah, but I was looking that in newsgroup. On Google Group its not stable somehow.

I do not know what you mean by "in newsgroup" but sci.* is a standard
    I mean newsgroup available on https://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Administrivia/newsgroups.html
    top level group and it will be carried by pretty much any newsfeed.

--
    If puns are outlawed, only outlaws will have puns.
    Now it fixed up by using Eternal September. Thanks to all!