• Restore OS X Yosemite under Parallels using "Previous System"?

    From Dudley Brooks@dbrooks@runforyourlife.org to comp.sys.mac.apps on Sun Sep 20 20:23:12 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    When I upgraded from Yosemite to High Sierra, a couple of much-used
    programs didn't run under it, and were never upgraded by the developers.

    I want to try installing Yosemite on an external HD under Parallels.

    But the Yosemite install DMG is very slow to download. I let the
    download run overnight ... and for some reason it bombed during the
    night and didn't successfully download.

    I'll try again tonight.

    But meanwhile ...

    Is it somehow possible to install Yosemite using the "Previous System"
    folder? It doesn't look like it has everything it needs to be a working system.

    Thanks.

    P.S. What, exactly, *is* the reason for the Previous System folder?

    --
    Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
    Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
    San Francisco
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From nospam@nospam@nospam.invalid to comp.sys.mac.apps on Sun Sep 20 23:35:55 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    In article <rk96b2$56b$1@dont-email.me>, Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

    But the Yosemite install DMG is very slow to download. I let the
    download run overnight ... and for some reason it bombed during the
    night and didn't successfully download.

    yosemite is a standalone installer app from the app store, not a dmg,
    and interrupted downloads can be resumed.
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Dudley Brooks@dbrooks@runforyourlife.org to comp.sys.mac.apps on Sun Sep 20 21:00:39 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    On 9/20/20 8:35 PM, nospam wrote:

    In article <rk96b2$56b$1@dont-email.me>, Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

    But the Yosemite install DMG is very slow to download. I let the
    download run overnight ... and for some reason it bombed during the
    night and didn't successfully download.

    yosemite is a standalone installer app from the app store, not a dmg,
    and interrupted downloads can be resumed.

    Thanks. I was downloading from the Apple website, not the App Store,
    and from the Apple website it *was* a DMG.

    I'll try from the App store.

    --
    Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
    Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
    San Francisco
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From nospam@nospam@nospam.invalid to comp.sys.mac.apps on Mon Sep 21 00:03:27 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    In article <rk98ha$jha$1@dont-email.me>, Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

    But the Yosemite install DMG is very slow to download. I let the
    download run overnight ... and for some reason it bombed during the
    night and didn't successfully download.

    yosemite is a standalone installer app from the app store, not a dmg,
    and interrupted downloads can be resumed.

    Thanks. I was downloading from the Apple website, not the App Store,
    and from the Apple website it *was* a DMG.

    not their main site, you weren't.

    were you on the apple developer site?
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Lewis@g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me to comp.sys.mac.apps on Mon Sep 21 04:08:33 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    In message <rk96b2$56b$1@dont-email.me> Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:
    But the Yosemite install DMG is very slow to download. I let the
    download run overnight ... and for some reason it bombed during the
    night and didn't successfully download.

    How are you downloading it? Apple doesn't provide a DMG of any installer
    that I know of.

    --
    The point about being killed by magic was that it was much more
    inventive than, say, steel; there were all sorts of interesting
    new ways to die, and he couldn't put out of his mind the shapes
    he'd seen, just for an instant, before the wash of octarine fire
    had mercifully engulfed them. --Sourcery
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Dudley Brooks@dbrooks@runforyourlife.org to comp.sys.mac.apps on Sun Sep 20 21:08:51 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    On 9/20/20 9:03 PM, nospam wrote:
    In article <rk98ha$jha$1@dont-email.me>, Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

    But the Yosemite install DMG is very slow to download. I let the
    download run overnight ... and for some reason it bombed during the
    night and didn't successfully download.

    yosemite is a standalone installer app from the app store, not a dmg,
    and interrupted downloads can be resumed.

    Thanks. I was downloading from the Apple website, not the App Store,
    and from the Apple website it *was* a DMG.

    not their main site, you weren't.

    were you on the apple developer site?

    I was on this page:

    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210717

    and clicked on "Download OS X Yosemite" under Section 4.

    The two partial files (when the download stopped) were called

    InstallMacOSX.dmg(1) 0 bytes

    and

    InstallMacOSX.dmg.part

    or something like that -- I've already deleted them.

    --
    Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
    Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
    San Francisco
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From nospam@nospam@nospam.invalid to comp.sys.mac.apps on Mon Sep 21 00:14:33 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    In article <rk990l$mpq$1@dont-email.me>, Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

    Thanks. I was downloading from the Apple website, not the App Store,
    and from the Apple website it *was* a DMG.

    not their main site, you weren't.

    were you on the apple developer site?

    I was on this page:

    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210717

    and clicked on "Download OS X Yosemite" under Section 4.

    that's new.

    The two partial files (when the download stopped) were called

    InstallMacOSX.dmg(1) 0 bytes

    and

    InstallMacOSX.dmg.part

    the .dmg.part is what's actively being downloaded.

    when it's done, it will replace the .dmg file, which is a placeholder.

    safari uses .dmg.download.
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Dudley Brooks@dbrooks@runforyourlife.org to comp.sys.mac.apps on Sun Sep 20 21:18:35 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    On 9/20/20 9:08 PM, Lewis wrote:

    In message <rk96b2$56b$1@dont-email.me> Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

    But the Yosemite install DMG is very slow to download. I let the
    download run overnight ... and for some reason it bombed during the
    night and didn't successfully download.

    How are you downloading it? Apple doesn't provide a DMG of any installer
    that I know of.

    Please see my response to nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>, who asked the
    same question.

    They *do* provide it ... and it (or a fraction of it) was on my HD.

    --
    Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
    Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
    San Francisco
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Dudley Brooks@dbrooks@runforyourlife.org to comp.sys.mac.apps on Sun Sep 20 21:27:41 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    On 9/20/20 9:14 PM, nospam wrote:

    In article <rk990l$mpq$1@dont-email.me>, Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

    Thanks. I was downloading from the Apple website, not the App Store,
    and from the Apple website it *was* a DMG.

    not their main site, you weren't.

    were you on the apple developer site?

    I was on this page:

    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210717

    and clicked on "Download OS X Yosemite" under Section 4.

    that's new.

    The two partial files (when the download stopped) were called

    InstallMacOSX.dmg(1) 0 bytes

    and

    InstallMacOSX.dmg.part

    the .dmg.part is what's actively being downloaded.

    when it's done, it will replace the .dmg file, which is a placeholder.

    The page I linked to above says

    "Double-click the downloaded file to open a window showing its contents." [I presume that since the file has "contents", it would be a
    .dmg. In any case, it had that designation while downloading.] "Then double-click the file within, named InstallMacOSX.pkg."

    Since it never finished downloading, I didn't get to see whether it *automatically* opened to its .pkg contents, or remained as a .dmg which
    I would need to open.

    safari uses .dmg.download.

    I was using Firefox.

    --
    Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
    Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
    San Francisco
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Lewis@g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me to comp.sys.mac.apps on Mon Sep 21 07:48:44 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    In message <rk98ha$jha$1@dont-email.me> Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:
    On 9/20/20 8:35 PM, nospam wrote:

    In article <rk96b2$56b$1@dont-email.me>, Dudley Brooks
    <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

    But the Yosemite install DMG is very slow to download. I let the
    download run overnight ... and for some reason it bombed during the
    night and didn't successfully download.

    yosemite is a standalone installer app from the app store, not a dmg,
    and interrupted downloads can be resumed.

    Thanks. I was downloading from the Apple website, not the App Store,
    and from the Apple website it *was* a DMG.

    Pretty sure you were not downloading from apple.com as they do not
    distribute DMG files of the OS.

    --
    My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can
    feel it. I can feel it. I'm... afraid.
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Lewis@g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me to comp.sys.mac.apps on Mon Sep 21 07:53:27 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    In message <rk990l$mpq$1@dont-email.me> Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:
    On 9/20/20 9:03 PM, nospam wrote:
    In article <rk98ha$jha$1@dont-email.me>, Dudley Brooks
    <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

    But the Yosemite install DMG is very slow to download. I let the
    download run overnight ... and for some reason it bombed during the
    night and didn't successfully download.

    yosemite is a standalone installer app from the app store, not a dmg,
    and interrupted downloads can be resumed.

    Thanks. I was downloading from the Apple website, not the App Store,
    and from the Apple website it *was* a DMG.

    not their main site, you weren't.

    were you on the apple developer site?

    I was on this page:

    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210717

    and clicked on "Download OS X Yosemite" under Section 4.

    You are right. I have not seen that page and am surprised there is a
    DMG. I assume it contains the Install application for some reason,
    though I cannot imagine why they did this. No matter, it is a dmg as you
    said.

    Download speeds are maximizing my downlink bandwidth, as is usual for
    Apple.

    In the time I've typed this, the download is nearly complete. (19MB/s)

    --
    THERE WAS NO ROMAN GOD NAMED "FARTICUS" Bart chalkboard Ep. 5F06
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Krzysztof Mitko@invalid@kmitko.at.list.dot.pl to comp.sys.mac.apps on Mon Sep 21 09:36:53 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    Lewis wrote:

    In message <rk98ha$jha$1@dont-email.me> Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:
    On 9/20/20 8:35 PM, nospam wrote:

    In article <rk96b2$56b$1@dont-email.me>, Dudley Brooks
    <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

    But the Yosemite install DMG is very slow to download. I let the
    download run overnight ... and for some reason it bombed during the
    night and didn't successfully download.

    yosemite is a standalone installer app from the app store, not a dmg,
    and interrupted downloads can be resumed.

    Thanks. I was downloading from the Apple website, not the App Store,
    and from the Apple website it *was* a DMG.

    Pretty sure you were not downloading from apple.com as they do not
    distribute DMG files of the OS.

    The links are given on Apple support sites. They stopped distributing dmgs after Sierra.

    <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210717> <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886> <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202>

    --
    A spokesman said: "Would you like to buy some of my spokes?"


    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Dudley Brooks@dbrooks@runforyourlife.org to comp.sys.mac.apps on Mon Sep 21 07:34:17 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    On 9/21/20 2:36 AM, Krzysztof Mitko wrote:

    Lewis wrote:

    In message <rk98ha$jha$1@dont-email.me> Dudley Brooks
    <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

    On 9/20/20 8:35 PM, nospam wrote:

    In article <rk96b2$56b$1@dont-email.me>, Dudley Brooks
    <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

    But the Yosemite install DMG is very slow to download. I let the
    download run overnight ... and for some reason it bombed during the >>>>> night and didn't successfully download.

    yosemite is a standalone installer app from the app store, not a dmg, >>>> and interrupted downloads can be resumed.

    Thanks. I was downloading from the Apple website, not the App Store,
    and from the Apple website it *was* a DMG.

    Pretty sure you were not downloading from apple.com as they do not
    distribute DMG files of the OS.

    The links are given on Apple support sites. They stopped distributing dmgs after Sierra.

    <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210717> <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886> <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202>

    Thanks. Yosemite, of course, was before Sierra.

    Now that we have settled the question of whether Apple does or does not distribute DMGs, can anyone answer my *actual* question(s), which
    someone clipped it from this current thread:

    I am trying to re-install Yosemite on an external HD under Parallels.
    Is it possible to do this using the "Previous System" folder? It
    doesn't look like it has everything necessary to be a complete
    functioning system. (I assume that this folder was created when I
    upgraded from Yosemite to High Sierra.)

    Thanks.

    P.S. What, exactly, *is* the reason for the Previous System folder?

    --
    Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
    Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
    San Francisco
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From nospam@nospam@nospam.invalid to comp.sys.mac.apps on Mon Sep 21 10:38:33 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    In article <rkadla$emf$1@dont-email.me>, Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:


    I am trying to re-install Yosemite on an external HD under Parallels.
    Is it possible to do this using the "Previous System" folder? It
    doesn't look like it has everything necessary to be a complete
    functioning system. (I assume that this folder was created when I
    upgraded from Yosemite to High Sierra.)

    no.

    the easiest way to create a vm in parallels is copy a backup of your
    old yosemite system. absent that, do a clean install.
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Lewis@g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me to comp.sys.mac.apps on Mon Sep 21 18:57:58 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    In message <rkadla$emf$1@dont-email.me> Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:
    On 9/21/20 2:36 AM, Krzysztof Mitko wrote:

    Lewis wrote:

    In message <rk98ha$jha$1@dont-email.me> Dudley Brooks
    <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

    On 9/20/20 8:35 PM, nospam wrote:

    In article <rk96b2$56b$1@dont-email.me>, Dudley Brooks
    <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

    But the Yosemite install DMG is very slow to download. I let the >>>>>> download run overnight ... and for some reason it bombed during the >>>>>> night and didn't successfully download.

    yosemite is a standalone installer app from the app store, not a dmg, >>>>> and interrupted downloads can be resumed.

    Thanks. I was downloading from the Apple website, not the App Store, >>>> and from the Apple website it *was* a DMG.

    Pretty sure you were not downloading from apple.com as they do not
    distribute DMG files of the OS.

    The links are given on Apple support sites. They stopped distributing dmgs >> after Sierra.

    <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210717>
    <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886>
    <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202>

    Thanks. Yosemite, of course, was before Sierra.

    Now that we have settled the question of whether Apple does or does not distribute DMGs, can anyone answer my *actual* question(s), which
    someone clipped it from this current thread:

    I am trying to re-install Yosemite on an external HD under Parallels.
    Is it possible to do this using the "Previous System" folder?

    In a word, no.

    It doesn't look like it has everything necessary to be a complete
    functioning system. (I assume that this folder was created when I
    upgraded from Yosemite to High Sierra.)

    Maybe. It contains things that were in the system before some
    update/upgrade that were removed. The folder has been renamed in later
    systems (I forget the name, "Relocated Items"? Recovered Items? I delete
    the folder after looking at it to see what configuration files might
    have changed.)

    P.S. What, exactly, *is* the reason for the Previous System folder?

    Apple doesn't delete files you had in the /System or /Library folders
    that can no longer be used, and puts them aside for you to deal with if
    you need to).

    I still have no idea why your download speed was slow on the dmg file
    either.

    --
    "It's like those French have a different word for *everything*" -
    Steve Martin
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Dudley Brooks@dbrooks@runforyourlife.org to comp.sys.mac.apps on Tue Sep 22 13:52:49 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    On 9/21/20 7:38 AM, nospam wrote:

    In article <rkadla$emf$1@dont-email.me>, Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

    I am trying to re-install Yosemite on an external HD under Parallels. Is it possible to do this using the "Previous System" folder? It
    doesn't look like it has everything necessary to be a complete functioning system. (I assume that this folder was created when I upgraded from Yosemite to High Sierra.)

    no.

    the easiest way to create a vm in parallels is copy a backup of your
    old yosemite system.

    Too late for that. Long since replaced by High Sierra.

    absent that, do a clean install.

    OK. Thanks.

    --
    Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
    Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
    San Francisco
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Dudley Brooks@dbrooks@runforyourlife.org to comp.sys.mac.apps on Tue Sep 22 13:59:30 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    On 9/21/20 11:57 AM, Lewis wrote:

    In message <rkadla$emf$1@dont-email.me> Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

    On 9/21/20 2:36 AM, Krzysztof Mitko wrote:

    Lewis wrote:

    In message <rk98ha$jha$1@dont-email.me> Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

    On 9/20/20 8:35 PM, nospam wrote:

    In article <rk96b2$56b$1@dont-email.me>, Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

    But the Yosemite install DMG is very slow to download. I let the download run overnight ... and for some reason it bombed during the night and didn't successfully download.

    yosemite is a standalone installer app from the app store, not a dmg, and interrupted downloads can be resumed.

    Thanks. I was downloading from the Apple website, not the App Store, and from the Apple website it *was* a DMG.

    Pretty sure you were not downloading from apple.com as they do not distribute DMG files of the OS.

    The links are given on Apple support sites. They stopped distributing dmgs after Sierra.

    <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210717>
    <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886>
    <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202>

    Thanks. Yosemite, of course, was before Sierra.

    Now that we have settled the question of whether Apple does or does not distribute DMGs, can anyone answer my *actual* question(s), which someone clipped it from this current thread:

    I am trying to re-install Yosemite on an external HD under Parallels.

    Is it possible to do this using the "Previous System" folder?

    In a word, no.

    It doesn't look like it has everything necessary to be a complete functioning system. (I assume that this folder was created when I upgraded from Yosemite to High Sierra.)

    Maybe. It contains things that were in the system before some update/upgrade that were removed. The folder has been renamed in later systems (I forget the name, "Relocated Items"? Recovered Items? I delete the folder after looking at it to see what configuration files might have changed.)

    OK.

    P.S. What, exactly, *is* the reason for the Previous System folder?

    Apple doesn't delete files you had in the /System or /Library folders that can no longer be used, and puts them aside for you to deal with if you need to).

    OK. Thanks.

    I still have no idea why your download speed was slow on the dmg file either.

    Probably and ISP or modem problem.

    --
    Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
    Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
    San Francisco
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113