• Verizon speedtest doesn't like Safari

    From Robert Peirce@bob@peirce-family.com to comp.sys.mac.apps on Sun Sep 6 10:36:44 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    Due to technical limitations, your download speed results using your
    current browser may not reflect actual download capabilities. Please use another browser to run the speed test.

    So I did. I used Brave and Chrome. But what is the problem with Safari
    and Verizon?
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Jolly Roger@jollyroger@pobox.com to comp.sys.mac.apps on Sun Sep 6 17:19:20 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    On 2020-09-06, Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
    Due to technical limitations, your download speed results using your
    current browser may not reflect actual download capabilities. Please use another browser to run the speed test.

    So I did. I used Brave and Chrome. But what is the problem with Safari
    and Verizon?

    Works fine here (iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13.7, Safari):

    <https://jmp.sh/r9Jn6pO>

    But the upload speed reported there is obvious bullshit. The actual
    upload speed hovered around 10 Mbps, and suddenly jumped higher right at
    the end. Here's what Ookla's speed test shows for comparison:

    <https://jmp.sh/9VBgWAx>

    --
    E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my ravenous SPAM filter.
    I often ignore posts from Google. Use a real news client instead.

    JR
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Your Name@YourName@YourISP.com to comp.sys.mac.apps on Mon Sep 7 09:48:50 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    On 2020-09-06 14:36:44 +0000, Robert Peirce said:

    Due to technical limitations, your download speed results using your
    current browser may not reflect actual download capabilities. Please
    use another browser to run the speed test.

    So I did. I used Brave and Chrome. But what is the problem with
    Safari and Verizon?

    One potential issue is Apple's "naughty list" and tight security.Safari
    checks every time you try to vist a website to make sure it isn't going
    to harm your Mac. Other modern web browsers have similar features, but
    they may not be as stringent or Mac-specific.

    You could prehaps try turning off the option
    Safari Preferences > Security > Warn when visiting a fraudulent website
    to see if that makes any difference.

    You may also need to allow downloads and content from the particular server in
    Safari Preferences > Websites > Downloads
    and Safari Preferences > Websites > Content Blockers
    although it's possible that the speedtest picks random servers to give
    a better average test result.

    Then again, it could simply be bad programming where Verizon or the
    speedtest developers do not know anything about Macs and / or Safari.
    Try a different speedtest site instead.

    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Lewis@g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies to comp.sys.mac.apps on Sun Sep 6 22:12:34 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    In message <rj2s5r$o8h$1@gioia.aioe.org> Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
    Due to technical limitations, your download speed results using your
    current browser may not reflect actual download capabilities. Please use another browser to run the speed test.

    So I did. I used Brave and Chrome. But what is the problem with Safari
    and Verizon?

    Verizon is run by incompetent ninnies.

    You should NEVER use your ISP's speed test service.

    --
    Some people are like a Slinky toy - not really good for anything, but
    you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the
    stairs.
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Lewis@g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies to comp.sys.mac.apps on Sun Sep 6 22:13:37 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    In message <hrkk0oFmtmfU1@mid.individual.net> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
    On 2020-09-06, Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
    Due to technical limitations, your download speed results using your
    current browser may not reflect actual download capabilities. Please use
    another browser to run the speed test.

    So I did. I used Brave and Chrome. But what is the problem with Safari
    and Verizon?

    Works fine here (iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13.7, Safari):

    <https://jmp.sh/r9Jn6pO>

    But the upload speed reported there is obvious bullshit. The actual
    upload speed hovered around 10 Mbps, and suddenly jumped higher right at
    the end. Here's what Ookla's speed test shows for comparison:

    <https://jmp.sh/9VBgWAx>

    ISP's lie about their speed.


    --
    You start a conversation you can't even finish it You're talkin' a
    lot, but you're not sayin' anything When I have nothing to say,
    my lips are sealed Say something once, why say it again?
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Joanna Shuttleworth@js@example.net to comp.sys.mac.apps on Mon Sep 7 08:13:22 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    On 2020-09-06, Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
    On 2020-09-06 14:36:44 +0000, Robert Peirce said:

    Due to technical limitations, your download speed results using your
    current browser may not reflect actual download capabilities. Please
    use another browser to run the speed test.

    So I did. I used Brave and Chrome. But what is the problem with
    Safari and Verizon?

    One potential issue is Apple's "naughty list" and tight security.Safari checks every time you try to vist a website to make sure it isn't going
    to harm your Mac. Other modern web browsers have similar features, but
    they may not be as stringent or Mac-specific.

    The 'naughty list' comes from Google

    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Lewis@g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies to comp.sys.mac.apps on Mon Sep 7 11:10:47 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    In message <CYl5H.980430$f44.125086@usenetxs.com> Joanna Shuttleworth <js@example.net> wrote:
    On 2020-09-06, Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
    On 2020-09-06 14:36:44 +0000, Robert Peirce said:

    Due to technical limitations, your download speed results using your
    current browser may not reflect actual download capabilities. Please
    use another browser to run the speed test.

    So I did. I used Brave and Chrome. But what is the problem with
    Safari and Verizon?

    One potential issue is Apple's "naughty list" and tight security.Safari
    checks every time you try to vist a website to make sure it isn't going
    to harm your Mac. Other modern web browsers have similar features, but
    they may not be as stringent or Mac-specific.

    The 'naughty list' comes from Google

    And is used by evert browser, IIRC, even Firefox.

    What Safari does is a but more involved, as they have also taken MANY
    steps to prevent tracking including outright lying to servers about
    things like screen size, fonts installed, and many other metrics that
    shit sites (nearly every site you've ever heard of) use to fingerprint
    users.

    Facebook, in particular, in incensed about the anti tracking changes in
    iOS 14, because anything that is good for users is something Facebook is opposed to.

    As I've said many times, if sites server their own local ads, nearly no
    on would run ad-blockers.

    --
    'It's a lovely morning, lads,' he said. 'I feel like a million
    dollars. Don't you?' There was a murmur of reluctant agreement.
    'Good,' said Cohen. 'Let's go and get some.' --Interesting Times
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Robert Peirce@bob@peirce-family.com to comp.sys.mac.apps on Mon Sep 7 08:41:12 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    On 9/6/20 1:19 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
    On 2020-09-06, Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
    Due to technical limitations, your download speed results using your
    current browser may not reflect actual download capabilities. Please use
    another browser to run the speed test.

    So I did. I used Brave and Chrome. But what is the problem with Safari
    and Verizon?

    Works fine here (iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13.7, Safari):

    <https://jmp.sh/r9Jn6pO>

    It works fine on my phone as well.

    I'm running it on my MBP and I use it primarily because it claims to
    measure the speed between the router and Verizon rather than between my computer and Verizon. Regardless of the warning it seems to work fine
    in that capacity.

    I use speedtest.net for computer to verizon. There is, as you would
    expect, a drop in speed when going thru my repeater vs. directly from
    the router. However the speed going thru the router is about the same
    as what Verizon, is telling me. Consequently I'm not sure what the
    warning means, if anything. It could just be CYA on verizon's part.
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Jolly Roger@jollyroger@pobox.com to comp.sys.mac.apps on Mon Sep 7 16:57:04 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    On 2020-09-07, Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
    On 9/6/20 1:19 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
    On 2020-09-06, Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
    Due to technical limitations, your download speed results using your
    current browser may not reflect actual download capabilities. Please
    use another browser to run the speed test.

    So I did. I used Brave and Chrome. But what is the problem with
    Safari and Verizon?

    Works fine here (iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13.7, Safari):

    <https://jmp.sh/r9Jn6pO>

    It works fine on my phone as well.

    I'm running it on my MBP and I use it primarily because it claims to
    measure the speed between the router and Verizon rather than between
    my computer and Verizon. Regardless of the warning it seems to work
    fine in that capacity.

    Works fine for me too in macOS with the latest Safari release.

    I use speedtest.net for computer to verizon. There is, as you would
    expect, a drop in speed when going thru my repeater vs. directly from
    the router. However the speed going thru the router is about the same
    as what Verizon, is telling me. Consequently I'm not sure what the
    warning means, if anything. It could just be CYA on verizon's part.

    Typically such "warnings" are just admissions of shoddy development on
    the part of the authors of the webpage. They can't be bothered to test
    their code in other browsers, so they just lazy up and display that
    message as a way to avoid support calls about other browsers.

    --
    E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my ravenous SPAM filter.
    I often ignore posts from Google. Use a real news client instead.

    JR
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From David Lesher@wb8foz@panix.com to comp.sys.mac.apps on Mon Sep 7 22:00:15 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> writes:

    In message <rj2s5r$o8h$1@gioia.aioe.org> Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
    Due to technical limitations, your download speed results using your
    current browser may not reflect actual download capabilities. Please use
    another browser to run the speed test.

    So I did. I used Brave and Chrome. But what is the problem with Safari
    and Verizon?

    Verizon is run by incompetent ninnies.

    You should NEVER use your ISP's speed test service.
    Yep

    I use <https://speed.measurementlab.net/>
    --
    A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz@nrk.com
    & no one will talk to a host that's close..........................
    Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433
    is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Lewis@g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies to comp.sys.mac.apps on Tue Sep 8 05:25:19 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    In message <rj6ahe$4es$2@reader1.panix.com> David Lesher <wb8foz@panix.com> wrote:
    Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> writes:

    In message <rj2s5r$o8h$1@gioia.aioe.org> Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
    Due to technical limitations, your download speed results using your
    current browser may not reflect actual download capabilities. Please use >>> another browser to run the speed test.

    So I did. I used Brave and Chrome. But what is the problem with Safari >>> and Verizon?

    Verizon is run by incompetent ninnies.

    You should NEVER use your ISP's speed test service.
    Yep

    I use <https://speed.measurementlab.net/>

    That is a good one.

    --
    At 20:43 the dome of St. Elvis Cathedral shattered... and the Devil
    walked the earth again. He'd never really left.
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From rmpbklyn@rmaniacnyc@gmail.com to comp.sys.mac.apps on Tue Sep 8 19:20:27 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    On Sunday, September 6, 2020 at 10:36:48 AM UTC-4, Robert Peirce wrote:
    Due to technical limitations, your download speed results using your
    current browser may not reflect actual download capabilities. Please use another browser to run the speed test.

    So I did. I used Brave and Chrome. But what is the problem with Safari
    and Verizon?
    in terminal/console do ping myadd.com where myadd.com is any site, google.com etc
    the mps should be no more than 4 for images/video/streaming.
    take history , note the mps when speed is acceptable, then look at when you have issues and see the differnence eg 13mps may be crawling slow

    Also wireshark is good opensource app to see the traffic you can isolate which sites or devices using the traffic..

    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Alan Browne@bitbucket@blackhole.com to comp.sys.mac.apps on Wed Sep 9 08:58:47 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    On 2020-09-06 18:13, Lewis wrote:
    In message <hrkk0oFmtmfU1@mid.individual.net> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
    On 2020-09-06, Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
    Due to technical limitations, your download speed results using your
    current browser may not reflect actual download capabilities. Please use >>> another browser to run the speed test.

    So I did. I used Brave and Chrome. But what is the problem with Safari >>> and Verizon?

    Works fine here (iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13.7, Safari):

    <https://jmp.sh/r9Jn6pO>

    But the upload speed reported there is obvious bullshit. The actual
    upload speed hovered around 10 Mbps, and suddenly jumped higher right at
    the end. Here's what Ookla's speed test shows for comparison:

    <https://jmp.sh/9VBgWAx>

    ISP's lie about their speed.

    Not only doesn't mine, but they deliver, consistently, above contract
    both at home and at work.

    Home DL 130 Mb/s delivered v. 120 contract; upload 22 v 20. Even better
    at work. Outages are very rare. Been with them for 25 years now - and
    always faster, better and cheaper.

    The work one does (same ISP) have more brief service outages for some
    reason (a period of 2 - 5 minutes dead a couple times per month).

    --
    "...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
    man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
    -Samuel Clemens
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Lewis@g.kreme@gmail.dont-email.me to comp.sys.mac.apps on Thu Sep 10 06:14:39 2020
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    In message <ck46H.30891$4d1.27447@fx09.iad> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
    On 2020-09-06 18:13, Lewis wrote:
    In message <hrkk0oFmtmfU1@mid.individual.net> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
    On 2020-09-06, Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
    Due to technical limitations, your download speed results using your
    current browser may not reflect actual download capabilities. Please use >>>> another browser to run the speed test.

    So I did. I used Brave and Chrome. But what is the problem with Safari >>>> and Verizon?

    Works fine here (iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13.7, Safari):

    <https://jmp.sh/r9Jn6pO>

    But the upload speed reported there is obvious bullshit. The actual
    upload speed hovered around 10 Mbps, and suddenly jumped higher right at >>> the end. Here's what Ookla's speed test shows for comparison:

    <https://jmp.sh/9VBgWAx>

    ISP's lie about their speed.

    Not only doesn't mine, but they deliver, consistently, above contract
    both at home and at work.

    We are talking about Speedtest utilities.

    --
    Life is raw. Everybody medicates. — Quentin
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From John@nospam@nospam.com to comp.sys.mac.apps on Mon Jan 25 19:14:12 2021
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.apps

    On 9/6/2020 7:36 AM, Robert Peirce wrote:
    Due to technical limitations, your download speed results using your
    current browser may not reflect actual download capabilities. Please use another browser to run the speed test.

    So I did.  I used Brave and Chrome.  But what is the problem with Safari and Verizon?


    Works fine here for speedtest. Sounds like operator error.
    --- Synchronet 3.18c-Linux NewsLink 1.113