• Re: Commodore Flight Simulator II Scenery disks

From Dave DeLeon@spacecougar2012@gmail.com to comp.sys.apple2 on Fri Oct 6 21:09:20 2023
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.apple2

On Thursday, March 17, 2022 at 6:10:14 PM UTC-7, Joshua Bell wrote:
    On Thursday, March 17, 2022 at 11:24:06 AM UTC-7, magnusfalkirk wrote:
    Looking at this page:

https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/sublogics-flight-simulator-scenery-add-ons

there are 2 other scenery disks that were put out for the Apple II version of FS2, Western European Tour and Scenery Disk 11. The problem is they don't seem to exist anywhere on the net, I even checked eBay. I've got Scenery Disks 1-7, Japan and STAR San Francisco. It would be nice to have more scenery but I guess I'll have to settle for what I have.
    It took a long, long time watching on eBay, but (as noted upthread) I was able to acquire all of them. I thought I'd uploaded the NIBs to asimov, but apparently not. They're in pub/incoming now as a ZIP containing:

A2-SD1 Dallas-Ft.Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Brownsville.nib
    A2-SD2 Phoenix, Albuquerque, El Paso.nib
    A2-SD3 San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas.nib
    A2-SD4 Klamath Falls, Seattle, Great Falls.nib
    A2-SD5 Salt Lake City, Cheyenne, Denver.nib
    A2-SD6 Omaha, Wichita, Kansas City.nib
    A2-SD7A Washington, Charlotte.nib
    A2-SD7B Jacksonville, Miami.nib
    A2-SD11 Lake Huron, Detroit.nib
    A2-SD13 Japan - Tokyo, Osaka.nib
    A2-SD14A "Western European Tour" - Southern United Kingdom, Northern France.nib
    A2-SD14B "Western European Tour" - Northern France, Southern West Germany.nib
    A2-SDS1 STAR San Francisco & The Bay Area.nib

Again, 8 and 10 were never released as stand-alone products, and 9, 11, and Hawaii were never released for the Apple II. Those are the 3 where converting from C64 would be interesting.
    Hi Joshua. Would you be able to upload .dsk versions of these files? The NIBs don't work for me when I try to load them into my linapple emulator. I have the same problem as stated by magnus in the original post. I do not have a full collection of working scenery disks. I am missing Disks 11 and 14a/14b, the same as magnus. Hopefully this reaches you. Thanks! Dave
    --- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.114
  • From Joshua Bell@inexorabletash@gmail.com to comp.sys.apple2 on Fri Oct 6 21:30:12 2023

On Friday, October 6, 2023 at 9:09:21 PM UTC-7, Dave DeLeon wrote:
    On Thursday, March 17, 2022 at 6:10:14 PM UTC-7, Joshua Bell wrote:
    On Thursday, March 17, 2022 at 11:24:06 AM UTC-7, magnusfalkirk wrote:
    Looking at this page:

https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/sublogics-flight-simulator-scenery-add-ons

there are 2 other scenery disks that were put out for the Apple II version of FS2, Western European Tour and Scenery Disk 11. The problem is they don't seem to exist anywhere on the net, I even checked eBay. I've got Scenery Disks 1-7, Japan and STAR San Francisco. It would be nice to have more scenery but I guess I'll have to settle for what I have.
    It took a long, long time watching on eBay, but (as noted upthread) I was able to acquire all of them. I thought I'd uploaded the NIBs to asimov, but apparently not. They're in pub/incoming now as a ZIP containing:

A2-SD1 Dallas-Ft.Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Brownsville.nib
    A2-SD2 Phoenix, Albuquerque, El Paso.nib
    A2-SD3 San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas.nib
    A2-SD4 Klamath Falls, Seattle, Great Falls.nib
    A2-SD5 Salt Lake City, Cheyenne, Denver.nib
    A2-SD6 Omaha, Wichita, Kansas City.nib
    A2-SD7A Washington, Charlotte.nib
    A2-SD7B Jacksonville, Miami.nib
    A2-SD11 Lake Huron, Detroit.nib
    A2-SD13 Japan - Tokyo, Osaka.nib
    A2-SD14A "Western European Tour" - Southern United Kingdom, Northern France.nib
    A2-SD14B "Western European Tour" - Northern France, Southern West Germany.nib
    A2-SDS1 STAR San Francisco & The Bay Area.nib

Again, 8 and 10 were never released as stand-alone products, and 9, 11, and Hawaii were never released for the Apple II. Those are the 3 where converting from C64 would be interesting.
    Hi Joshua. Would you be able to upload .dsk versions of these files? The NIBs don't work for me when I try to load them into my linapple emulator. I have the same problem as stated by magnus in the original post. I do not have a full collection of working scenery disks. I am missing Disks 11 and 14a/14b, the same as magnus. Hopefully this reaches you. Thanks! Dave
    I can upload .WOZ files somewhere, but qkumba did the work to create version of the scenery files with a modified FS2 that all fit on a ProDOS hard disk image. You can select the active scenery disk from the FS2 "edit" menu. The image can be downloaded from:
    https://github.com/a2-4am/4sports/blob/main/res/dsk/flight%20simulator%202%20with%20scenery%20PRODOS%20(san%20inc%20pack).po
  • From qkumba@peter.ferrie@gmail.com to comp.sys.apple2 on Wed Oct 11 18:52:50 2023

If you really want the .dsk versions, they are stored inside the .po as regular files, so CiderPress or Cadius or similar can extract them, and then you can rename them all to *.dsk.
  • From qkumba@peter.ferrie@gmail.com to comp.sys.apple2 on Wed Oct 11 18:56:19 2023

.nib (or .woz) won't work with the cracked boot disk because the scenery disks were copy-protected, too.
    You'd need all .nib/.woz or all .dsk.