• Synchronet for Linux on a Raspberry Pi

From Alec Aaron Roberts to All on Sat Apr 22 15:56:30 2017
    So i have a raspberry pi (marketed as a KANO computer for education), a 9 pin serial interface, and a US robotics modem. I'm not really a Linux expert, but i do know it's generally a nightmare to get working properly, especially on "funky" hardware like this, and setting up a BBS will add to the funkyness.
    My raspberry pi i BELIEVE Is the original one, says "Raspberry Pi, (c)2011.12" on it. I heard of one other BBS running on a raspberry pi before but i believe it is no longer active. If anyone has tips i would greatly appreciate it. It would be great if all the tricky work has been done by somebody else already so i just have to install everything. Linux kind of scares me but i really want to have my own BBS and this is the perfect hardware to leave running 24/7!
  • From DaiTengu to Alec Aaron Roberts on Sun Apr 23 14:54:08 2017
    Re: Synchronet for Linux on a Raspberry Pi
    By: Alec Aaron Roberts to All on Sat Apr 22 2017 03:56 pm

So i have a raspberry pi (marketed as a KANO computer for education), a 9 pin serial interface, and a US robotics modem. I'm not really a Linux expert, but i do know it's generally a nightmare to get working properly, especially on "funky" hardware like this, and setting up a BBS will add to the funkyness. My raspberry pi i BELIEVE Is the original one, says "Raspberry Pi, (c)2011.12" on it. I heard of one other BBS running on a raspberry pi before but i believe it is no longer active. If anyone has tips i would greatly appreciate it. It would be great if all the tricky work has been done by somebody else already so i just have to install everything. Linux kind of scares me but i really want to have my own BBS and this is the perfect hardware to leave running 24/7!

I keep meaning to pick up a Pi to play with, but I really haven't had the time. Running Synchronet on Linux is pretty easy in and of itself.

I actually have the guy on my Facebook who ran the Pi BBS, I'll see if I can poke him and see what the status is (Assuming the BBS I am thinking of was "XM Core").

Also, you'll likely get a lot more response to a question like this in the Dove-Net echos.

If you're using the classic synchronet menu, "J" for Jump to a new area, "2" for Dove-Net, and then area 16" for "Synchronet Discussion". it could also fit in "Hardware/Software Help" (5) or "Unix Discussion" (7).
  • From Ed Green to DaiTengu on Thu Mar 15 02:10:10 2018
    By: DaiTengu to Alec Aaron Roberts on Sun Apr 23 2017 02:54 pm

This sounds really cool... My school has some extra modesms, I think I'll give this a try!
  • From DaiTengu to Ed Green on Thu Mar 15 23:15:37 2018
    By: Ed Green to DaiTengu on Thu Mar 15 2018 02:10 am

This sounds really cool... My school has some extra modesms, I think I'll give this a try!

I went out and grabbed a Raspberry pi 3 after I made that post. And I promptly installed Retro-pi on it, and it's hooked up to my 65" TV in the living room. I use it to play SmashTV, and various other retro games that I loved as a kid.

I need to practice, a new retro-style video arcade/bar is opening in my town, and I'm bound-determined to have the high score on at least a few of those machines!

DaiTengu

... I got a new shadow. My last shadow wasn't doing what I was doing.
  • From Djatropine to DaiTengu on Sun Oct 6 08:53:48 2019
    By: DaiTengu to Ed Green on Thu Mar 15 2018 11:15 pm

By: Ed Green to DaiTengu on Thu Mar 15 2018 02:10 am

This sounds really cool... My school has some extra modesms, I think
    I'll give this a try!

I went out and grabbed a Raspberry pi 3 after I made that post. And I promptly installed Retro-pi on it, and it's hooked up to my 65" TV in the living room. I use it to play SmashTV, and various other retro games that I loved as a kid.

LOVE Smash TV :D

Synchronet is nice however I've been experimenting with Enigma ..(Nothing set up really) I was running a Magicka board. Mostly as a personal LUA playground.

Well I was doin gretarted things and accidetnaly screwed over my own magicka..

I've been looking at some of the dos legacy systems . . Spitfire would be fun although ive never called a spitfire system yet i have a set of Spitfire wheels on one of my skateboards.
  • From DaiTengu to Djatropine on Mon Oct 7 13:51:03 2019
    By: Djatropine to DaiTengu on Sun Oct 06 2019 08:53 am

I went out and grabbed a Raspberry pi 3 after I made that post. And
    I promptly installed Retro-pi on it, and it's hooked up to my 65"
    TV in the living room. I use it to play SmashTV, and various other
    retro games that I loved as a kid.

LOVE Smash TV :D

Smash TV is probably my favorite arcade game.

Synchronet is nice however I've been experimenting with Enigma ..(Nothing set up really) I was running a Magicka board. Mostly as a personal LUA playground.

I just don't have time to play around with different BBS software anymore. I am on the Enigma mailing list, and follow the development, but I haven't poked at it in a couple years.

I've been looking at some of the dos legacy systems . . Spitfire would be fun although ive never called a spitfire system

I played with Spitfire back in the early 90's at one point, but I don't remember much about it.

DaiTengu

... Anyone who lives within his means suffers from a lack of imagination.