• Hello from Kentucky

From Alec Aaron Roberts to All on Sat Apr 15 01:04:15 2017
    Just thought i'd check in. looks like the local messages are rather dead. Theres hardly been anyone in here! I've made it my mission to create a BBS and come up with creative ways to market it to hopefully help start the next BBS glorydays, for the benefit of all mankind! Modems for life!

Looking forward to joining the leagues of sysops, the community needs some fresh blood before it dies off completely and becomes a relic of the past. (it already is, kind of)

It doesnt have to be though, everyone has a computer and modems are CHEAP so if only there was awareness of BBS's i think some young people would actually get into it since "retro" is becoming more and more cool every day. Plus to bypass the internet and connect computer to computer has an intimate and "underground" feel compared to major websites such as facebook, etc. Maybe its a pipe dream but a man can try. Here's to the future of traditional modem BBS's!
  • From DaiTengu to Alec Aaron Roberts on Sat Apr 15 01:34:55 2017

Hello Alec!

15 Apr 17 01:04, you wrote to all:

Just thought i'd check in. looks like the local messages are rather
    dead. Theres hardly been anyone in here! I've made it my mission to create a BBS and come up with creative ways to market it to hopefully
    help start the next BBS glorydays, for the benefit of all mankind!
    Modems for life!

Looking forward to joining the leagues of sysops, the community needs
    some fresh blood before it dies off completely and becomes a relic of
    the past. (it already is, kind of)

It doesnt have to be though, everyone has a computer and modems are
    CHEAP so if only there was awareness of BBS's i think some young
    people would actually get into it since "retro" is becoming more and
    more cool every day. Plus to bypass the internet and connect computer
    to computer has an intimate and "underground" feel compared to major websites such as facebook, etc. Maybe its a pipe dream but a man can
    try. Here's to the future of traditional modem BBS's!

Man, you really are posting up a storm, considering you're connected at 1200 baud!

I haven't spent a lot of time trying to get users on the BBS, it's mostly here for my enjoyment and the enjoyment of people like you who connect via Dialup. Thanks for calling, and I hope you call back soon!

Mike

... Experience is what you get after you need it
    --- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20161221
  • From Alec Aaron Roberts to DaiTengu on Sun Apr 16 19:45:21 2017
    Re: Hello from Kentucky
    By: DaiTengu to Alec Aaron Roberts on Sat Apr 15 2017 01:34 am

Hello Alec!

15 Apr 17 01:04, you wrote to all:

Just thought i'd check in. looks like the local messages are rather dead. Theres hardly been anyone in here! I've made it my mission to create a BBS and come up with creative ways to market it to hopefully help start the next BBS glorydays, for the benefit of all mankind! Modems for life!

Looking forward to joining the leagues of sysops, the community needs some fresh blood before it dies off completely and becomes a relic of the past. (it already is, kind of)

It doesnt have to be though, everyone has a computer and modems are CHEAP so if only there was awareness of BBS's i think some young
    people would actually get into it since "retro" is becoming more and more cool every day. Plus to bypass the internet and connect computer to computer has an intimate and "underground" feel compared to major websites such as facebook, etc. Maybe its a pipe dream but a man can try. Here's to the future of traditional modem BBS's!

Man, you really are posting up a storm, considering you're connected at 12

I haven't spent a lot of time trying to get users on the BBS, it's mostly h

Mike

... Experience is what you get after you need it
    --- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20161221
    This time i am connecting at 2400 baud, using my Courier modem. Not sure why i had been in at 1200, since normally i use 24 (thats plenty fast enough for text in my opinion... Never connected to a BBS that had 56k capability, i bet that would be absolutely blazing for this simple text-only kind of transmission, whereas its slow for the graphics-heavy internet.
  • From DaiTengu to Alec Aaron Roberts on Tue Apr 18 01:11:23 2017
    By: Alec Aaron Roberts to DaiTengu on Sun Apr 16 2017 07:45 pm

This time i am connecting at 2400 baud, using my Courier modem. Not sure why i had been in at 1200, since normally i use 24 (thats plenty fast enough for text in my opinion... Never connected to a BBS that had 56k capability, i bet that would be absolutely blazing for this simple text-only kind of transmission, whereas its slow for the graphics-heavy internet.

Very few BBSes ever had full 56K capability, due to the need for a special type of phone connection on the BBS's end. I don't believe any BBS in my area ever had full 56K capabilities except for one which provided Internet access.

So, over basic phone lines, 33.6K was about the best you'd ever get. Compared to a 14.4k modem though, that was blazing fast.

Fun fact: when you connect to this BBS, you're dialing into a dummy system which still telnets you into the BBS over the internet. While the phone line comes into my house, the BBS software is actually running on a virtual machine in Dallas, TX. :)
  • From Alec Aaron Roberts to DaiTengu on Tue Apr 18 22:06:54 2017
    By: DaiTengu to Alec Aaron Roberts on Tue Apr 18 2017 01:11 am

This time i decided to call in from my IBM thinkcentre 8215-DF9 with Windows 98 Second Edition using the old HyperTerminal program. Oh the nostalgia.
  • From Aquishix to Alec Aaron Roberts on Wed Feb 21 04:12:15 2018
    By: Alec Aaron Roberts to DaiTengu on Tue Apr 18 2017 10:06 pm

Pfff...I'm using Lync 3.2 in actual MS-DOS 6.22 on a vintage system I just built from parts. Sucks that both ends of this connection are TCP/IP bridges. Feelsbadman.

-aQ