• Native American Day of Mourning and lessons learned from the past

From Allen Prunty@1:2320/100 to All on Wed Nov 23 09:48:10 2016
    Just to put things in perspective a bit.

Tomorrow in North America a day is celebrated where we give thanks for our
    Many Blessings that we have received during the year. We eat Turkey, have a big meal with family and friends... and attribute the day to a peaceful dinner between the White Settlers from England and the Native American (Indians) who were already on the land.

While this was true at first things rapidly changed for my Ancestors (the Native population). Our traditions were elimninated... our children were
    often re-educated (read the book or watch the movie titled "The Education of Little Tree") to the white man's world. Our lands were taken and our
    Ancestors were forced to march west on the Trail of tears.

It no longer represents something for the modern Native American Population to be thankful for... in fact we Mourn not just for our Ancestors, but our traditions, and our ways. In 1970 the tribal leadership councils of all
    tribes originating in the New England region declared Thanksgiving Day as a national day of mourning.

Being that I have ancestors from both worlds I celebrate both Thanksgiving and the Day of Mourning together. This can serve as a reminder that much of our history is revisionist history. I really do believe that the pilgrims and the Natives had it good the first few years together... but true history is
    written and can be read... but not taught. Many only believe the glossed over stories they hear at school and in Churches.

Believe me I speak my peace about it at my Church... and make it clear that it has a darker side to it. I am thankful that all the members do take a moment to reflect on the darker side before celebrating the thankful side.

With this I do ask that you do take a moment and realize that Thanksgiving is not all about a big gluttonous meal, football, and shopping deals. There were real struggles in the past. Both the White ancestors and the Native Ancestors struggled through much adversity as the previous winter after they landed in Plymouth was especially hard on them. The Natives taught the Pilgrams how to farm... showed them new crops... and the means to survive on the land. This
    is what thanksgiving is truly about.

So in this spirit take a moment to reflect on just how hard our Ancestors had it... whether it was the struggle at Plymouth so many years ago... the great depression... one of the world wars... or whatever adversity they faced be thankful for just how good we have it today.

In this spirit, much like the Native Americans did so long ago check on a neighbor that may not have the blessings you have... if you have an elderly neighbor take them a plate of food. Show them a little love.

In this spirit remember we are all one people... and we are all neighbors... and that is something to be truly thankful for.

Allen
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.0pr5
    # Origin: LiveWire BBS -=* Louisville, KY *=- LiveWireBBS.com (1:2320/100)
    * Origin: LiveWire BBS - Synchronet - LiveWireBBS.com (1:2320/100)