• Car seats

From Jim Haight@1:322/757 to All on Fri Jan 20 08:34:02 2017
    What's the most uncomfortable car seats you've ever sat in? What are the most comfortable car seats you've ever sat in? Why is it that the oldest cars used to blast heat at your feet but nobody can do this anymore?
    --- SBBSecho 2.27-Win32
    * Origin: (1:322/757)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105.1 to Jim Haight on Tue Jan 24 18:06:00 2017
    Why is it that the oldest cars used
    to blast heat at your feet but nobody can do this anymore?

I had a 1967 Rambler that had the best car heater of any car I have ever had, and all the cars I have had have been at least 13 years newer than that one.

Also, I can remember in that car (and other older ones I rode in), you rarely needed the defrost/defog. You could open the wing vents and point them at
    the front window. Sometimes even cracking the windows did the trick. You can't hardly sit in a new car anymore when it is just a little cold or humid without the windows immediately fogging up.

Mike
    ---
    * SLMR 2.1a * Wind in my hair - shifting and drifting...

--- GTMail 1.26
    * Origin: CCO BBS * 502/875-8938 * capcity2.synchro.net (1:2320/105.1)
  • From Jim Haight@1:322/757 to Mike Powell on Sat Jan 28 08:48:30 2017
    Re: Car seats
    By: Mike Powell to Jim Haight on Tue Jan 24 2017 06:06 pm

Why is it that the oldest cars used
    to blast heat at your feet but nobody can do this anymore?

I had a 1967 Rambler that had the best car heater of any car I have ever had, and all the cars I have had have been at least 13 years newer than that one.

Also, I can remember in that car (and other older ones I rode in), you rarely needed the defrost/defog. You could open the wing vents and point them at the front window. Sometimes even cracking the windows did the trick. You can't hardly sit in a new car anymore when it is just a little cold or humid without the windows immediately fogging up.

I had a friend in high school who had a Rambler with a GM 327 in it (towing package?), push button automatic etc. He had dual thrush mufflers on it and rejetted the 4bbl. We called it the scrambler. I think he got it used for $30.00 from someone and spent more on the exhaust etc. It was quite the sleeper. I remember someone trying to pass him on the right and he manually hit a lower gear on the dash and the car sounded like thunder. Scared the hell out of people when they heard it.

Yeah the defrost crap is overkill. Cars are programmed to slip on your AC to defrost now, your feet are cold and there are no wing vents to flick the cigarette ashes anymore. But... I gave up smoking a long time ago :)
    --- SBBSecho 2.27-Win32
    * Origin: (1:322/757)
  • From ED KOON@1:123/140 to JIM HAIGHT on Sat Jan 28 18:43:34 2017
    I had a friend in high school who had a Rambler with a GM 327 in it (towing package?), push button automatic etc. He had dual thrush mufflers on it and rejetted the 4bbl. We called it the scrambler. I think he got it used for $30.00 from someone and spent more on the exhaust etc. It was quite the sleeper. I remember someone trying to pass him on the right and he
    manually hit
    a lower gear on the dash and the car sounded like thunder. Scared the
    hell out
    of people when they heard it.

I remember a 1967 Ambassador i had way back then. Good cars that were
    easy to fix.

Yeah the defrost crap is overkill. Cars are programmed to slip on your
    AC to
    defrost now, your feet are cold and there are no wing vents to flick the cigarette ashes anymore. But... I gave up smoking a long time ago :)

These new cars will be too costly to repair when they get old. As it is
    now an out of warranty repair costs a small fortune.

Dealers are pushing leases to lower monthly payments. Pay by the month
    and turn it in after 36 months or when it's out of warranty, then lease another.

Hearing about lease cars without a single oil change. Either blown up
    engines or valve rod noise going through the auctions with lease
    companies losing their ass.

Who cares, it's not their car, just put in gas and drive the hell out of
    it!
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.0pr5
    * Origin: DocsPlace.org Since 1991 | QWK VIA Web Browser (1:123/140)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105.1 to Jim Haight on Sat Jan 28 18:00:00 2017
    I had a friend in high school who had a Rambler with a GM 327 in it (towing package?), push button automatic etc. He had dual thrush mufflers on it and rejetted the 4bbl. We called it the scrambler. I think he got it used for $30.00 from someone and spent more on the exhaust etc. It was quite the sleeper. I remember someone trying to pass him on the right and he manually hit
    a lower gear on the dash and the car sounded like thunder. Scared the hell
    out
    of people when they heard it.

Sounds like a beast. Mine had the standard 199cid straight-6 with the auto transmission on the column. It was odd, though... where (D)rive would be on most cars I have driven, I think it had an (S), which meant it started in second and then went to third. The middle setting was for all 3 gears, (D) Drive, and then the last one was just like most other cars from back then,
    (L) for low gear only. That (S) setting had no real purpose, from what I
    could tell. Trying to take off from a light in it usually meant killing the engine. But she ran great in (D). :)

Mike

---
    * SLMR 2.1a * "We use language??" - Beavis

--- GTMail 1.26
    * Origin: CCO BBS * 502/875-8938 * capcity2.synchro.net (1:2320/105.1)