• Allfix under DOSEMU?

From Kurt Weiske@1:218/700 to All on Fri Jul 21 12:50:48 2017
    Is anyone running ALLFIX under DOSEMU? I'm contemplating switching my system from Windows to Linux and want to minimize the amount of apps I need to migrate manually. If I could run ALLFIX in DOSEMU, that'd be one less configuration I'd need to move.
    --- SBBSecho 3.00-Win32
    * Origin: http://realitycheckbbs.org | tomorrow's retro tech (1:218/700)
  • From Vince Coen@2:250/1 to Kurt Weiske on Sat Jul 22 13:21:54 2017
    Hello Kurt!

Friday July 21 2017 12:50, you wrote to All:

Is anyone running ALLFIX under DOSEMU? I'm contemplating switching my
    system from Windows to Linux and want to minimize the amount of apps I
    need to migrate manually. If I could run ALLFIX in DOSEMU, that'd be
    one less configuration I'd need to move.

Did so a long time back but moved from Maximus to mbse which has its own file and mail processors so stopped using it.

Running in a dosbox does reduce performance a lot also you are restricted to filenames of 8.3 which can be a problem these days and as mbse handles both 8.3
    and unlimited file names (within local Linux restrictions / limits) the problems do not surface.

So it does depend on what BBS / mailer s/w you are going to run.

Vince

--- Mageia Linux v5/Mbse v1.0.7.2/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.501-b20150715
    * Origin: Air Applewood, The Linux Gateway to the UK & Eire (2:250/1)
  • From Kurt Weiske@1:218/700 to Vince Coen on Sat Jul 22 08:04:40 2017
    Re: Allfix under DOSEMU?
    By: Vince Coen to Kurt Weiske on Sat Jul 22 2017 01:21 pm

I'm currently running Synchronet, Allfix and Radius under Windows, was considering either moving to a VPS running Linux and Mystic, which has filefix and a mailer built in, or moving my Windows install as-is to Linux. I'd need to move to a new mailer and new filefix tool.

BTW, I was asking about DOSEMU, which is a program to run DOS programs in Linux, not DOSEMU, which is an entire environment. Not sure if DOSEMU is limited to 8.3...
    --- SBBSecho 3.00-Win32
  • From Vince Coen@2:250/1 to Kurt Weiske on Sat Jul 22 21:33:56 2017
    Hello Kurt!

Saturday July 22 2017 08:04, you wrote to me:

All DOS emulation products I have seen at least in the past has that limitation
    as the partition has been FAT.

It is possible that now there is support for NTFS but not heard about such.

Did look at Mystic - again, but the versions now are no longer O/S and I will not run system s/w that isn't. I did for a time run Mystic before moving to mbse as a native Linux/*nix run BBS that caters easily for multi users / nodes polling logging in to the system at the same time, subject to your BB speeds but as my upload is 20Mb it is more than enough for most of my links.

This way I can have 10+ system connected at the same time (BBS, web & FTP).

By: Vince Coen to Kurt Weiske on Sat Jul 22 2017 01:21 pm

I'm currently running Synchronet, Allfix and Radius under Windows, was considering either moving to a VPS running Linux and Mystic, which has filefix and a mailer built in, or moving my Windows install as-is to
    Linux. I'd need to move to a new mailer and new filefix tool.

BTW, I was asking about DOSEMU, which is a program to run DOS programs
    in Linux, not DOSEMU, which is an entire environment. Not sure if
    DOSEMU is limited to 8.3...

Vince

--- Mageia Linux v5/Mbse v1.0.7.2/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.501-b20150715
    * Origin: Air Applewood, The Linux Gateway to the UK & Eire (2:250/1)
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to Kurt Weiske on Sat Jul 22 16:57:00 2017

On 2017 Jul 22 08:04:40, you wrote to Vince Coen:

I'm currently running Synchronet, Allfix and Radius under Windows, was considering either moving to a VPS running Linux and Mystic, which has filefix and a mailer built in, or moving my Windows install as-is to Linux. I'd need to move to a new mailer and new filefix tool.

best would be to switch to binkd as your mailer unless you absolutly need other
    services that radius provides... for the tosser, sync now has something for that, doesn't it? kinda like its binkit mailer option which you could also use instead of binkd... hpt has a file fixer that should be able to interface with sync like allfix did... it doesn't have all the features but it works...

switching from sync/win to sync/lnx should be a matter of copying over your configs and fixing the paths to fit your linux layout... this is also probably better in the SYNCHRONET or SYNC_SYSOPS echo, FWIW:... better info can be had there ;)

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey
    Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it wrong...
    ... Even cats have their own lives; get on with yours
    ---
    * Origin: (1:3634/12.73)
  • From Kurt Weiske@1:218/700 to mark lewis on Sun Jul 23 08:20:52 2017
    By: mark lewis to Kurt Weiske on Sat Jul 22 2017 04:57 pm

best would be to switch to binkd as your mailer unless you absolutly need other services that radius provides... for the tosser, sync now has something for that, doesn't it? kinda like its binkit mailer option which you could also use instead of binkd...

The only function Radius provides outside of the mailer is cron, which isn't a problem duplicating since Linux comes with cron out of the box.

Binkd wouldn't be hard, since I have my Region 10 predecessor's binkd config.

Allfix is the only sticking point.

BTW, in talking to Deuce regarding binkit and tickit, when I asked him about using it for a hub, it sounded like it wasn't quite ready yet.

hpt has a file fixer that should be
    able to interface with sync like allfix did... it doesn't have all the features but it works...

I'll look into it, couldnt find any example files or docs, though.
    --- SBBSecho 3.00-Win32