• Re: FreeBSD?

From Atroxi@VERT to Chickenhead on Wed Aug 26 16:15:00 2020
    Chickenhead wrote to All <=-

So...anyone using FreeBSD here?

I've actually started running FreeBSD on my laptop for quite some time now. I'm astounded at how compatible my stuff are to it and I have had less than 10 issues migrating my workflow to it. I wish FreeBSD had good Steam support so that I can wholly jump ship to it. But as it stands right now, I have to keep my desktop running Linux on the off-chance that someone invites me to play a casual game every once in a blue moon.

But other than that, I'm liking how FreeBSD handles things. It might sound overly cliche but all their talk about stuff being clean and easy to understand is true. I don't consider myself a technical expert on lower level stuff but the way they wrote their handbook and their system manpages are just awesome and really approachable. I used to say that I learned a lot about my computer using Linux as compared to using Windows but now I can say that I learned a lot more about computers using FreeBSD than using Linux.

... You want to delete me right? Yeah, you sure do. You slut.
    --- MultiMail/FreeBSD v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Atroxi on Wed Aug 26 05:51:11 2020
    Re: Re: FreeBSD?
    By: Atroxi to Chickenhead on Wed Aug 26 2020 04:15 pm

I've actually started running FreeBSD on my laptop for quite some time now. I'm
    astounded at how compatible my stuff are to it and I have had less than 10 issues
    migrating my workflow to it. I wish FreeBSD had good Steam support so that I can
    wholly jump ship to it. But as it stands right now, I have to keep my desktop runni
    Linux on the off-chance that someone invites me to play a casual game every once in
    blue moon.

But other than that, I'm liking how FreeBSD handles things. It might sound overly
    cliche but all their talk about stuff being clean and easy to understand is true. I
    don't consider myself a technical expert on lower level stuff but the way they wrot
    their handbook and their system manpages are just awesome and really approachable.
    used to say that I learned a lot about my computer using Linux as compared to using
    Windows but now I can say that I learned a lot more about computers using FreeBSD t
    using Linux.

FreeBSD is nice. It feels a lot like a BSD-licensed Linux at times, though. When I
    want a BSD experience I usually end up running OpenBSD, but that is a different beast.
    If you run that one, expect to do some software porting if you want to make the most
    out of it :-)

--
    gopher://gopher.operationalsecurity.es

---
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Starman@VERT/STARBRDS to Atroxi on Wed Aug 26 12:40:55 2020
    By: Atroxi to Chickenhead on Wed Aug 26 2020 16:15:00

But other than that, I'm liking how FreeBSD handles things. It might sound overly cliche but all their talk about stuff being clean and easy to understand is true.

I use FreeBSD at work a little bit and also have it here at home on a couple of SBCs. I don't know that I'd call it easy to understand as much as very well-documented. (Though the evbarm/aarch64 side of things are sorely lacking in documentation, but that's kind of to be expected.) Mind you, some of that documentation can be mildly absurd; their wiki in particular used to be really bad about beginning with outdated (often by a decade or more) information at the top followed by successive sections newer and superceding the last. "As of early 2013 this no longer works and you have to blah... Starting with 6.8rc3 in Jan 2015, you now must blah blah... " and so on for ten paragraphs.

My biggest complaint has always been the unwieldiness of the ports system, and how hard it is to find things you don't necessarily know the (package) name of, compared to, say, using apt or yum on Linux. Evidently there are now frontends / package managers that make this a little less painful. But I've been a Linux user/admin for close to 20 years, so maybe it's just a case of being very used to the Linux way...

One thing I find irritating (and I believe this is also applicable to, e.g. NetBSD and OpenBSD) though is their philosophical refusal to allow one to view information about the CPU(s) from userspace. Good luck figuring out what frequency your cores are running at (or indeed, on some evbarm/aarch64 platforms that take cores offline to prevent overheating, even just figuring out how many cores are active), something that's trivial on Linux.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Starboards! [dot SPACE!] SSH and more
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Starman on Thu Aug 27 07:49:00 2020
    Starman wrote to Atroxi <=-

I use FreeBSD at work a little bit and also have it here at home on a couple of SBCs. I don't know that I'd call it easy to understand as
    much as very well-documented.

I'm looking forward to loading it up on my new home lab this morning
    - downloaded the install ISO yesterday. I bought a book on Amazon a
    while back that I used heavily when using it in Production - "The
    Complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey. I don't know how useful it'll be
    now, or if it's anything more than printed out man pages, but it was
    helpful back in the day.

... Remember quiet evenings
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Atroxi@VERT to Arelor on Thu Sep 10 14:33:00 2020
    Arelor wrote to Atroxi <=-

By: Atroxi to Chickenhead on Wed Aug 26 2020 04:15 pm

I've actually started running FreeBSD on my laptop for quite some time now.
    I'm
    astounded at how compatible my stuff are to it and I have had less than 10
    issues
    migrating my workflow to it. I wish FreeBSD had good Steam support so that I
    can
    wholly jump ship to it. But as it stands right now, I have to keep my
    desktop runni
    Linux on the off-chance that someone invites me to play a casual game every
    once in
    blue moon.

But other than that, I'm liking how FreeBSD handles things. It might sound
    overly
    cliche but all their talk about stuff being clean and easy to understand is
    true. I
    don't consider myself a technical expert on lower level stuff but the way
    they wrot
    their handbook and their system manpages are just awesome and really
    approachable.
    used to say that I learned a lot about my computer using Linux as compared
    to using
    Windows but now I can say that I learned a lot more about computers using
    FreeBSD t
    using Linux.

FreeBSD is nice. It feels a lot like a BSD-licensed Linux at times, though. When I want a BSD experience I usually end up running OpenBSD,
    but that is a different beast. If you run that one, expect to do some software porting if you want to make the most out of it :-)

I'm curious, how come is it a "BSD-licensed linux"? Yeah, OpenBSD is this thing in the back of my head that I wanted to try out just for the sheer novelty of it but I don't know if it will fit my usecase. But we'll see.

... The number you have dailed...Nine-one-one...has been changed.
    --- MultiMail/FreeBSD v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Atroxi on Fri Sep 11 17:57:05 2020
    By: Atroxi to Arelor on Thu Sep 10 2020 02:33 pm

FreeBSD is nice. It feels a lot like a BSD-licensed Linux at times, though. When I want a BSD experience I usually end up running OpenBSD, but that is a different beast. If you run that one, expect to do some software porting if you want to make the most out of it :-)

I'm curious, how come is it a "BSD-licensed linux"? Yeah, OpenBSD is this th in the back of my head that I wanted to try out just for the sheer novelty o it but I don't know if it will fit my usecase. But we'll see.

It is hard to point at the cause, but when I did things with FreeBSD I was thinking "this reminds me so much of Linux" all the way. Probably the abstraction layers it has installed by default.

OpenBSD feels a lot like its own thing. They have this bsd_auth going on, unveil(), this thing with users that belong to specific loging classes, and this chroot+privilege drop combo for lots of daemons. NetBSD feels very unique too, in a different way, which is interesting because OpenBSD comes from NetBSD.

--
    gopher://gopher.operationalsecurity.es

---
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Mortifis@VERT/EPHRAM to Atroxi on Sat Oct 10 16:50:10 2020

<deleted stuff>

LMFAO!

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Realm of Dispair telnet ephram.synchro.net 2323 ssh 2222 web 82